Make your life easier by getting your students to both read regularly in English outstide of class and speak more in class with the articles in our PDF eBook.
We all know that reading regularly in English is one of the best ways to get our students to improve their level in English (it broadens their vocabulary, it reinforces their knowledge of grammatical structures etc...). The problem is getting our students to actually do it.
In every class I've taught, I've always stressed the importance to them to read as much as possible outside of class in English. Unfortunately, apart from the most dedicated, few seldom do.
If you are an English learner, click here to learn about the student version of this eBook.
Why they don't
It can be easy to put the blame on our students for not doing this. And it is true that many of them (like all of us) can be either too lazy or are just too busy to get around to reading things in English outside class.
But finding things to read is actually quite difficult and time-consuming. Although they do now have unlimited access to literally billions of articles in English which they can read for free on the web, it is extremely difficult for learners to find articles themselves which are both appropriate for their level and interesting to read. For students with an intermediate or a FCE level of English, the vast majority of pieces of writing which they'll find on the web will be too difficult and confusing. And the reading material which is right for their level is generally too short and boring for them. So, it's unsurprising the majority of them don't do it. What would you do if you were in their position? Would you continue doing something if you found it frustrating or boring to do?
It makes our lives more difficult
Although it may not seem like it is our problem as teachers whether our students regularly read in English outside of class, it is. The practice which our students do in English outside of class is as important as what they do with us in class for determining how quickly they progress. The less they practise their English, the slower they progress.
To overcome the reasons why the majority of my own students weren't reading in English outside of class, I decided to create my own material for them to read regularly and a method that ensured that they actually read it. Material which was not only right for their level, but also interesting for them to read. It's taken me about 2 years to create all of this and to get it just right. And the result of all this hard work, is this eBook.
What's in the eBook
To start with, this edition of the PDF eBook has been specifically designed to be used by teachers with their students. There are 50 printable reading exercises and each exercise includes:
- A long text (approximately 800 words)
- A vocabulary exercise
- A sheet for students to create sentences with the vocabulary
- 5 questions for you to ask your students about the topic they've read
The 50 texts in the eBook
- Which type of English is better to learn: British or American?
- The 7 best jobs in the world
- Being a teenage lottery millionaire
- 16-year-olds should be able to vote in elections
- Why are tattoos becoming so popular?
- Driving a self-driving car for a job
- Are some names better than others on a job application?
- Why do some adults have problems with learning languages?
- Changing the racist names of places in America
- The man who invented basketball
- 9 strange things that are illegal to do in Singapore
- Why we spend too much at Christmas
- Why so many international tourists travel on Route 66
- Is homeschooling better than school for children?
- Teaching children about advertisements
- Is the siesta in Spain going away?
- Was life better 100 years ago than it is today?
- Would you really want to live forever?
- The Oscars is criticized for being too white
- The gun debate in America
- The illegal migrant who decided to return to Nigeria
- How I turned travelling into a job
- Sweden, the country where new dads take months off work
- How teenagers have changed how they shop
- Why do some children have to do so many tests?
- Fashion is important, but should it be?
- Long school holidays in summer are bad for our children
- 10 ways that supermarkets manipulate us
- How fizzy drinks are killing thousands of Mexicans
- Is global warming happening?
- Why some people in America want to change the name of 'Columbus Day'
- Have aliens visited earth?
- The top 5 places to visit in Madrid
- Is it really better to drink hot things instead of cold things in summer to cool down?
- Is university worth it?
- Why should U.S. Hispanics learn to speak English?
- What happens to somebody's face when they lie
- Why are the Chinese buying lots of real estate around the world?
- The cinema code of conduct
- Why is keeping animals as pets so popular?
- An expedition to Antarctica that went wrong: part 1
- An expedition to Antarctica that went wrong: part 2
- Don't throw it away, get it repaired instead
- If there's water on Mars, does this mean there's life?
- Why drinking is bad for all of us
- Will technology replace classroom teachers?
- Why we have problems with sleeping
- Should you throw out food when it passes its use-by date?
- What islands that attract tourists have to do
- How where we sleep created human civilisation
Close the exercise list
In addition to this, you'll also find in the eBook a tried and tested method for using these reading exercises with your students.
How the eBook will help you and your students
The material in this eBook will improve your students' English in a number of different areas:
Improve their reading
Each reading exercise has a text that been specifically written and adapted (so they are still challenging, but not difficult for them to read and understand) for teachers to use with students whose level of English is intermediate or are studying for the Cambridge FCE exam. The texts cover a wide range of different topics (from science to art and everything in between) and this will broaden your students' knowledge of English vocabulary.
Improve their vocabulary
In addition to the text, each reading exercise contains a vocabulary exercise. In this, your students will learn the meaning of 7 carefully selected phrases and words from the text. These are words and phrases which I have noticed over the 10 years that I have been teaching English that students at this level commonly don't know, don't use or use incorrectly.
Make them remember the vocabulary
It would be pointless for your students to learn the meaning of these words and phrases and then forget what they mean. To ensure that they do remember them, each reading exercise comes with a sheet for your students to write a sentence in their own words for each of the 7 words and phrases they learnt in the vocabulary exercise.
It'll help their speaking as well
These reading exercises have also been designed to improve your students' ability and confidence in speaking in English as well. The topic of each reading exercise has been selected to make students interested in what they are reading about. Included in the eBook is a tried and tested method for using the reading exercises for getting your students to talk together in class, not just about the text, but about the topic in general. To help you do this, you'll find each reading exercise has a list of at least 5 questions which you can ask them after they have done it.
You'll be surprised how much your students' speaking in English will improve after doing these reading exercises for just a few months.
Make your life easier
The more your students read and speak in English, the quicker they improve. This makes happier students, happier classes and higher grades. All of which makes your life as teacher a lot easier.
Get your copy now
The cost for all of this material is €16 (around $19). When you take into consideration that the material is designed to be used for a full academic year and how much it will help both you and your students, it is cheap for the price.
I have been using this material and method with my own students for over three years now and I'm very happy with the results I've seen. Not only with seeing how it has improved their level of English, but seeing how they enjoy speaking together and expressing their opinions about the topics of the reading exercises that they have done.
Click the button below to buy your copy.